Hooray! School’s out and it’s time to pack up your dorm room and head on home for the summer. Having mom’s home cooked meals every day will feel like a total bonus after a whole year of ramen and microwavable meals. The only thing left to do is pack up your dorm room and head on out. Since your first year in college, you’ve probably accumulated way more stuff than you realized. Once upon a time, you had only a duffle bag and a laundry basket full of clothes, plus a laptop, and some bedding. Not too much right? Only took one trip to unload it from the trunk of your car. Now you have a few large furniture pieces, clothes, bedding, a ton of books, then there’s the gadgets and things. Looks like you’ll need a moving truck and a place to store all your belongings. If you’re lucky you’ll have friends of family members who are willing to store it all for you, but if you’re like most students, they’re looking for affordable and efficient storage solutions.
Firstly, you’ll need to pack your dorm room as quickly and efficiently as possible. Here are some easy tips on how to pack up your dorm room:
Remember you’re only going from point A to point B, nothing super extravagant right? So leave your clothing on hangers. To keep things intact and easy to carry, separate your hung clothes into sections of 8-10 hangers. Use a heavy-duty elastic band or rope to bundle the 8-10 hanger hooks together and then using a large plastic trash bag (brand new and unused, of course) cover the clothing from top to bottom, creating a hole in the bottom of the bag to pull the hanger hooks through. Kind of like creating your own version of a large garment bag. Then tie the bottom of the open bag in a knot to keep the clothing snug and from falling out onto the floor. Voila! You got yourself a bag-o’-clothes.
- Unload the dead weight and donate any books or things you no longer need. Why take any junk with you if you don’t need to. Everytime you move, you should take it as an opportunity to reorganize and free up space in your life for new things.
- Use reusable tote bags to pack your shoes, sling it over your shoulder and it’s a done deal. Who needs to fuss over packing when you have reusable totes laying around!
- If you have suitcases, pack them. Consider them moving boxes on wheels. Fill em up and roll out your stuff, easy peasy. Utilize every suitcase you have, just don’t get too lazy to unpack them after!
- Give yourself enough time to pack. Don’t leave your ride waiting outside honking for you to hurry up. When you rush to pack, that’s when things go missing, things get left behind, and things get really messy. Why get all frazzled when you can take your time and start packing little by little weeks in advance. As if you need more stress in your life!
- When packing your clothes, roll them. Not only is it easy but it leaves so much more room for more clothes and it looks super neat. Roll, roll, roll away and speed through packing your clothes in the dresser.
Use plastic ziplock bags to pack your makeup or other toiletries.
Utilize your laundry hampers, just be careful not to make them too heavy to carry. Pack your bedding into your hamper or use the space to pack up your DVDs and books. Keep your boxes around 50 pounds or lighter so that they aren’t too heavy to carry out.
Large plastic trash bags are also great for packing and carrying bedding, pillows, and throw pillows.
If you are running low on storage space at home, have you ever considered renting a self-storage unit nearby? Storage units are great for offloading belongings that you still value or need, but are not being used at the current time. It is like an extension to your home by adding storage just a short drive away. With a self-storage unit, you can store away all the boxes and things that will only crowd your space when you’re not using them.
If you’re looking for a self-storage unit in your area, Jiffy Storage is one of the most reliable and trusted self-storage facilities in the GTA with some of the best-maintained climate controlled units around. Some clients have even been choosing to store their trusted belongings with Jiffy for over 20 years. The main reason people prefer Jiffy Storage is because they are so flexible in the way they accommodate everyone’s storage needs, particularly with how long they will need it. If you only need storage for 24 hours, Jiffy can help. If you need long-term climate controlled storage, it is available at Jiffy at competitive prices. It is usually recommended to secure a self-storage space for one month regardless if you need it for a shorter period of time. There are times where space is limited due to high-demand and since life can be unexpected, having your storage space reserved for at least a month will ensure you have a backup plan if needed and it is the most cost-efficient way to go.
For more information, call Jiffy Storage at 416 74-JIFFY (54339) or contact us here.