Kitty litter is a necessity when there is a cat in the home, but this shouldn’t be the only reason that you store away litter. There are many uses for kitty litter that people just aren’t aware of. It has many great uses and it should be kept stored away at your home or storage unit whether there is a kitty in the house or not!
Reasons to Keep Kitty Litter Around
- Kitty litter acts as a great odor repellent. When your garbage can begins to smell, deodorize the can by putting a little kitty litter at the bottom of it. This will help mask the smell even when washing the can out fails to work.
- Freshen up your footwear by filling a sock or porous fabric with some kitty litter. Then, place the sock inside the shoes when they are not being worn. This trick is especially good for those who go to the gym on a regular basis or that are active in sports.
- When you have an oil spill in your driveway or your vehicle managed to leak fluid on it, or if your motorcycle in storage had leaked over the winter, sprinkle kitty litter on top of it. The fluid will absorb in the kitty litter which can then be scooped up and thrown away after it is left to sit for a bit.
- Use kitty litter for traction purposes. When the driveway or porch steps are slick with snow or ice, use kitty litter for traction. It is cheaper than buying rock salt and it truly works. It may not dissolve the snow and ice, but it will definitely help prevent you from falling. It will also keep the car from sliding all over the place.
- Place a small cup of kitty litter in your closet with the lid open. The litter will freshen up the closet and keep it free from odor, which could stick to your clothes. The same goes if you store your seasonal ware in a storage unit!
- If your basement floods or has an area that becomes moist, use kitty litter to prevent the moisture. Kitty litter is a wonderful absorbent.
- Kitty litter is great for house plants and gardens. The litter loosens the soil which will help the plants to grow better.
If you’re keeping it in your storage unit, it helps prevent that stale scent often found in fabrics when left for long periods of time.
As you can see, kitty litter acts as a great deodorizer, absorbent and gardening tool. There are many great uses for litter other than putting it in the litter box. Keep it around and you will soon see how well litter works for a majority of situations!