Everyone in the world has the habit of storing belongings away, whether they store them in their own attic, shed, garage, or even a rented self-storage unit. However, when items aren’t stored properly, they run the risk of becoming damaged and not repairable. To prevent this from happening, it is wise to practice proper storing methods, especially to keep away the pests.
The infiltration of pests can damage your belongings worse than anything else. When your items are stored within containers and kept in a closed in area, weather will more than likely not play any type of factor. Pests, however, will find their way into nearly any nook and cranny they can find to make homes in your property. This can greatly damage your stuff, even furniture.
Advice for Proper Storage
- Use plastic airtight containers with lids. If you buy clear containers, you will be able to see inside to assure no pests ever make it in. Cardboard boxes are easy for pests to enter and they will chew right through the box just to get inside.
- Keep all clutter and garbage away from where the items are stored. Pests love clutter and messiness. Make sure everything is kept clean and pristine where your items are stored.
- Keep the containers off of the ground by placing it on pallet wood and refrain stacking them too close to the walls. Any moisture will attract pests so the items should be kept dry which is best done in a climate controlled self-storage unit.
- Toss some mothballs around. Mothballs will deter the critters
- Watch for signs of rodents. Check for pests, feces, gnaw marks, and paper shavings. If you notice that critters are entering your stored items, then you didn’t store them properly. The whole unit should be cleaned and everything should be packed away even safer in the proper containers.
Keeping pests away from your belongings isn’t too difficult as long as you watch the clutter. Rodents love clutter and will want to make a home in the midst of it. They will do anything they can to stay warm when it’s cold out and if they have any access to your stuff, they will definitely take advantage of the situation. Be clean and store all items in plastic containers with lids and you will have the best chances of keeping all pests away for good.