At some point as a home or business owner, you will more than likely run into a time where renovations are necessary. During this time, you will need to find a way to store your belongings until the remodeling is complete. You will need the clean room and extra space just to get the job done right. So, when you don’t have any extra room at the home to store the items, you rent a self-storage unit.
A self-storage unit is a relatively low-cost way to store any of your property. It can be rented on a month to month basis and doesn’t typically cost all that much. These self-storage units can be temperature controlled too if you are concerned about the longevity of your property. However, it isn’t usually a big deal if it isn’t considering you are only storing your stuff until the renovations are complete.
Tips and Advice for Temporary Storage
- Keep all items properly stored away in airtight containers and sealed boxes.
- Borrow the storage unit’s truck rental if they allow their customers to use it. This will help cut the costs of the removal.
- Set up a realistic timeframe in which you would like to complete the renovations in. Set a goal so that you can get your stuff out of storage before it becomes a permanent fixture in the storage unit.
- Make sure the storage unit and your stuff is clean and free of dust and debris.
- Keep critters and pests out of the storage unit by keeping the floor clean and all boxes sealed tightly. Toss mothballs around the unit to deter the animals and insects from infiltrating.
- Decide on an appropriate sized storage unit. Make sure you can stack all labeled boxes and furniture against the walls so that you are able to easily access the unit in case there is something put away that you need during the time the renovations are being made.
Storing your belongings during a renovation isn’t a bad idea at all. No one needs the clutter around the property when they are trying to improve their home or business. Keep it safely out of the way and make sure you pack everything up and seal well in order to keep it from being bothered by pests or poor elements. Keeping everything clean and free of dust is also wise and will deter any critters.