Whether it’s your first time renting a storage unit, or you just want to learn to be more efficient, take note of these tips and tricks to get the most out of your space!
- Be Super Organized: If you pack your storage unit tight, it can be difficult to find things that you need. Or, maybe you can’t remember if you packed something in your unit, or in your attic. There are many reasons to keep things organized in your storage unit and you will regret it if you don’t! Label everything, and do your best to keep labels visible. In addition, create a list of everything you’re storing. Not only will it help you pack initially, but you can refer to it should your memory fail you.
- Make a Plan: Avoid just packing things in willy-nilly. Create a packing strategy to make packing, locating, and unpacking as easy as possible. Pack items tallest to shortest, meaning the taller items go in the back of the unit and the shortest items go in the front. This will make it far easier to see things, therefore easier to locate items in the future.
- Box it Up: Clearly labelled, stackable boxes will keep your storage unit clean, orderly, and keep your belongings protected. Cardboard boxes, while cheaper, don’t last as long over time and are more susceptible to external elements. Plastic boxes and containers are a more dependable choice.
- Cover Up: When packing things like garments, mattresses, and upholstered furniture, it’s best to use covers in order to keep the items safe from dust.
- Leave Space: Imagine you need to retrieve an item from the very back of your storage unit. You can see it all the way back there, but it’s packed in so tight you can’t get to it without moving everything else! While it’s tempting to eschew thinking ahead and pack your storage unit as tight as possible, remember the above scenario and how frustrating it will be! Pack your storage unit so as to leave a walkway, or some other way of accessing harder-to-reach items.
At Jiffy Self Storage, we do our part to help you by providing storage units that are:
- Climate Controlled
- Highly Secured
- Fire Monitored
- Flood Damage Controlled
Make the right choice, and keep your valuable items safe with us! Contact us today, or check out our website for more information about our self storage solutions.