The self storage facility that caught fire in Toronto last week is still smoldering one week later and officials report what remains of the building will soon be demolished, CBC News reports.
The Toronto storage building caught fire last Monday morning and firemen worked tireless through the night, all day Tuesday and well into Wednesday to contain the flames, though it still raged on deep inside the building.
"The hot sports are deep inside the building, trapped inside its walls," CBC's Trevor Dunn reported. "Engineers checked out the building and it’s a writeoff, far too much damage to salvage the structure."
Because of the state of the building and the depth of the fire, the building will be demolished in the near future.
According to Kim Coulter, an engineer working on the demolition crew, the collapse of the building will be slow as all the debris, smoke and remains of peoples;' possessions could spell disaster if it was taken down in one blow.
Dunn reported that fire crews will remain at the scene throughout the take down to ensure the safety of the surrounding neighborhoods and structures, especially since the building is sill smoldering.
The fire has spread smoke, debris and dirt through the neighborhoods and it has also left many who kept their valuables at the facility without their items. Although some may have the right storage insurance, others may be left to pick up the pieces without much of a repayment. Scenarios like this prove why it's important to always properly insure valuables.