While retail outlets are among the more common places frequented by consumers during the holidays, they also tend to visit the veterinarian's office.
According to the Canadian Standards Association, approximately one in four Canadians has taken their pet to the vet during the holiday season or at least knows someone who has. What's more, one in 10 Canadians have visited their animal's doctor due to an accident their pet experienced with holiday decorations.
"The holiday season can be a busy time at veterinary clinics," said Ian Sandler, a doctor and member of the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association. "Pets aren't aware of the consequences of their actions as their home is decorated for the holiday season, and malfunctioning lights, plants and candles are just a few of the items that can wreak havoc."
He added that pets rely on their owners to make sure they're protected and aren't at risk for injury.
To avoid accidents, CSA and the CVMA say Canadians should decorate with their pets in mind making sure to keep lights, breakable bulbs and candles away from areas where they can get to.
When the holidays are over, pet owners are cautioned to practice safe storage methods, making sure the decorations are placed in closed containers that can't be accessed.